Followers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

A snail, a flower pot and a tutorial - Scheduled Post #6


My son gave me these flower pens for Mother's Day and I thought they'd look really cute in a flower pot with my Hambo "garden snail".


What do you think? Here's a detail shot of the main image. I colored him in with Copics and added some detail on the shell with my yellow Sakura glaze pen.
I didn't have a pattern to make my flower pot, so I just winged it and was really happy with how it came out. Want to make one of your own??

Here's how I did it:
Score a 4 1/4" X 11" piece of thick cardstock at
1", 4 1/2", 6 1/2" and 10".



Next, I measured in 1" from the outside edge and made a diagonal score line to the 1" and 10" score marks. You can see them in the photo above. I put an X on each section with the diagonal score line.




Then I cut along the diagonal score line and trimmed about an inch off of the end.

Still with me?? Then I used a couple of glue dots to attach the ends together to make a small box in the center.
I filled up the box with dried beans to hold it down and balance with the pens inside. You can see the photo at the beginning of this post (program not cooperating right now).


Next, I sponged with Close to Cocoa and Really Rust. Yes....I know....it would have been MUCH easier to sponge BEFORE I did the box inside, but I was making this up as I went along.

At this point, I also attached some fake grass. You know the kind that they put in the pre-made sushi boxes at the grocery store?




To finish it off, I sponged the other side and added some eyelets to hold my ribbon.

Hope that all made sense!

No comments: