Followers

Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's a pie party!

Go grab an apron and your favorite pie recipe and join the fun! You can link up your delicious creation over at Tidy Mom and view everyone else's goods.

My contribution to the festivities is:
Double-Decker Vegan Pumpkin Pie

I combined two of my favorite pumpkin recipes, one cheesecake and one pie, and came up with this YUMMY dessert. It's a tradition in our house every year after the weather starts to cool and we bust out the Snuggies.

Here's what you'll need:

12 oz. extra firm tofu
8 oz. of Tofutti vegan cream cheese
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice (sometimes I substitute orange zest)
1/2 cup organic agave nectar

1 pre-made graham cracker crust

1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon each of ginger juice, cinnamon & nutmeg


My favorite part about this recipe is that everything is made in the blender! That's right - no mixing bowls, no hand mixer, nothing! And that means easy clean up.

Before you begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Toss the first set of ingredients into the blender (tofu, cream cheese, vanilla, cornstarch, lemon juice and agave nectar). Blend until smooth, about 30 - 45 seconds.

Pour about 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a pre-made graham cracker crust. Leave the rest of the mixture in the blender and then add the next set of ingredients to it. (pumpkin, brown sugar and spices) Blend until smooth , about 15 - 20 seconds. Then gently pour it all into the pie crust on top of the first layer.*Pre-made pie crusts are pretty flimsy, so I like to place mine on top of a cookie sheet while I prep and bake it*

Mmmmmm....just look at all of that yummy cinnamon pumpkiny goodness.Bake for 70 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool completely and then place in fridge to chill for at least three hours - torturous, I know.
When you slice it, you'll see both layers... Isn't it pretty?
And oh soooooo yummy!I promise that no one will know it's vegan unless you tell them! This baby didn't even last 12 hours in my house this weekend! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be back tomorrow with something crafty :-)

1 comment:

TidyMom said...

I can certainly see why it didn't last 12 hours!! That looks DELICIOUS!!

Thanks for sharing and linking up!! I'm drooling over all of these amazing pies!!

Have a GREAT week!!