Followers

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ribbon Awareness Girl

My friend just had surgery for colon cancer and I wanted to pop a card in the mail for her.  Just a little something to let her know that she was in my thoughts.
This image by Inky Impressions was absolutely perfect. It's called "Lili's Awareness Ribbon" and you can find her right here.  A portion of the proceeds go to the American Breast Cancer Association and the American Diabetes Association - very cool. 
I used a sketch from Create with Connie and Mary for my layout and embellished with some blue rhinestone brads from Inky Impressions.  I paper pieced her overalls with a fun striped pattern for the challenge over at Splitcoast, and drew in some concrete and grass to ground the image. 
I colored the ribbon light blue, because that's the "color" for colon cancer awareness.  I found a great website that lists all of the different ribbon colors and meanings.

Here's a peek at the inside. 
I just used scraps left over from the front of my card and stamped the same image in a pale blue color.


I put together a quick photo tutorial on how I drew in my concrete.  Hopefully you'll find it helpful and give it a try.
First, I took a Copic multiliner with a very fine tip and drew in a solid line.
This will be the "top" of the concrete.

These are the three colors I always use for this technique.

Next, I took my darkest color (C7) and drew in a small shadow under her feet.

Then I filled in with my medium color (C5).

Then, I took my lightest color (C3) and filled in the rest using small circular strokes.

I also decided to draw in some grass and flowers. 
If you'd like to see my tutorial for that, click here.

Hope that all made sense!  If you give it a try, share a link to your project - I'd love to see it!
Thanks for poppin' by today.  And don't forget, you can always check out the Inky Impressions blog for daily inspiration.

No comments: