Followers

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Here it is!

First things first.
Thank you all for your sweet comments about the gift box card that I posted here. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people who e-mailed me asking for a tutorial. Sometimes I wonder if anyone's out there in "cyber space", so your comments and kind words really meant alot to me. For that, thanks.

I worked on this tutorial yesterday afternoon, and decided to make a new sample in brighter colors, so it would be easier to see. (The original was done with black cardstock) Lots of photos and steps with this tutorial, but I figured the more info, the better. Explaining things isn't really a strength of mine, so please hang in there with me! Okay....here goes.

Start with a 10" x 6" piece of cardstock.
Score on the 10" side at 3 5/8" AND 8".
If you have a scor-pal, there's an triangle mark at 3 5/8".

Flip your cardstock as shown below.
Make a score mark at 1 1/2" and stop when you get to the 3 5/8" score mark that you made in the previous step. Cut along the 1 1/2" score mark and remove that section.

After you remove the section from the previous step, position your cardstock as shown below.
Take a straight edge and make a like from the 8 1/2" mark to the edge of the cardstock. Cut away the section marked with an X - don't throw it away!
This is what your cardstock should look like now.
Take the part that you removed in the previous step and use it as a guide to make the same cut on the left side. I've used orange cardstock, to make it easier to see.
This is what you should have now.
Still with me??

Okay.....position your cardstock as shown in the photo below. Now use a pencil and make a mark on the score line at 1 1/2" in from the right edge. (You can barely see it in the photo, but I've marked near it with an arrow.)
Now measure 1 1/4" UP from the score line and make a mark.
Then measure 1 1/4" DOWN from the score line and make another mark.
(I've marked them with arrows)
Connect the dots to make a triangle and remove the part marked with an X.
Here's what you'll have.
Fold up the bottom flap as shown below.
There will be a small part that hangs over the edge of the middle layer. I've marked it with an arrow. Cut away that part.
Here's what you should have.
See how the edge is flush now?

Fold over the top flap and VOILA!
Now you're ready to decorate and embellish your little heart out. I covered mine with patterned paper, but this would also look great with some dry or heat embossing.
This is what my finished card looks like...
And here's a fun little tip....
I attached the gift tag to the card front with a small piece of Velcro. That way it stays in place and holds the card closed.

Gosh....I know that was a lot of steps, but I hope it was helpful! If you use my tutorial to make one of your own, be sure to leave a link on this post so I can check it out!


5 comments:

Kathy W said...

great tutorial, nice touch with added sticky arrows and extra tips- well done. thanks for taking the time to share it with us

Monica Hunter said...

Great tutorial MacKenzie! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us, because your cards are awesome and worth trying to replicate!

Renee L. said...

I couldn't wait to get up this morning to check and see if the tutorial was here, so excited! Thank you for sharing this incredible card, love it! Your cards are amazing and I look forward to many, many more! Inspiring.

Dawn B. said...

This is very cool.. You are really good at tutorials..I think it is amazing how many people look at a blog but don't comment.. Just wanted to say way to go...

Anonymous said...

Deb

I really enjoyed this tutorial. Very clear, concise and easy to follow. Kudos!