Followers

Monday, September 20, 2010

Glad the weekend is over...

I debated about whether or not to write this post, but in the end decided to go ahead and do it. If it can help just one person learn something, then I'll be glad. I just went through a hellish weekend, which started off with me falling down the stairs and freaking out my kids - I'm okay. It ended with us having to put down our favorite family cat, Jayden. The most heartbreaking parts were seeing the horrible pain that our kitty was in, and then having to bring my kids into the room to say goodbye to her.
My husband surprised me earlier in the week with a beautiful bouquet of lilies. We had them up on the kitchen island, out of reach, but a couple of petals fell on the floor and apparently Jayden chewed on them. She very quickly developed tons of painful ulcers in her mouth, gums and tongue. She stopped eating and drinking because of the pain and went into kidney failure. I can't believe how fast this all happened.
I had NO idea that lilies, ALL lilies. are extremely poisonous to cats. We've learned alot in the last couple of days, and I thought I'd share some of it with you. Below is a list if items that are extremely hazardous to your pets.
  • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, aspirin)
  • Acetaminophen
  • Vitamins
  • Diet Pills
  • Fabric Softener
  • Mothballs
  • Flea & Tick Products
  • Liquid Potpourri
  • Fly Bait
  • Detergents
  • Tobacco Products
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Onions & Onion Powder
  • Garlic
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Moldy Food
  • Salt
  • Gum or Candy sweetened with xylitol
  • Tea Leaves
  • Raw Yeast Dough
  • Wax

PLANTS

  • Aloe
  • Amaryllis
  • Andromeda Japonica
  • Asparagus Fern
  • Australian Nut
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Belladonna
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Bittersweet
  • Black Locust
  • Branching Ivy
  • Buckeye
  • Buddhist Pine
  • Caladium
  • Calla Lily
  • Castor Bean
  • Ceriman
  • Clematis
  • Cordatum
  • Corn Plant
  • Cycads
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Daylily
  • Devil's Ivy
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dumbcane
  • Easter Lily
  • Elephant Ears
  • Emerald Fern
  • English Ivy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Ferns
  • Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron
  • Florida Beauty
  • Foxglove
  • Glacier Ivy
  • Gladiolas
  • Gold Dust Dracaena
  • Golden Pothos
  • Heavenly Bamboo
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hurricane Plant
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Iris
  • Jerusalem Cherry
  • Jimson Weed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lantana
  • Lilies (all Lilium species)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Lupine
  • Marble Queen
  • Morning Glory
  • Mother-in-Law
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Narcissus
  • Needlepoint Ivy
  • Nephthysis
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Panda
  • Peace Lily
  • Philodendron
  • Poison Hemlock
  • Precatory Bean (rosary pea)
  • Privet
  • red Emerald
  • Rhododendron
  • Ribbon Plant
  • Sago Palm
  • Satin Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Striped Dracaena
  • Sweetheart Ivy
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock
  • Wisteria
  • Yew
  • Yucca


9 comments:

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Oh, 'Kenzie I am so sorry. You know I am soooooo sorry. I hope you and the kids are okay.

Meera said...

Oh Mackenzie, I am so sorry to hear about your news. I really hope u r all OK. What is it with poorly pets and falling down the stairs at the moment? My dog was ill, then I fell down the stairs and really hurt myself. Then I have a few friends who have done the same xx

Monica Hunter said...

I'm SO sorry this happened MacKenzie! How horrific! I hope you're okay from the fall. So sorry you lost your family pet!

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about your lost. Many prayers to your family.

Jess B.
thatzuneek@gmail.com

♥Rach♥ said...

Oh MacKenzie, I'm SO sorry! I know it wasn't easy to write about, but we have two cats and I really appreciate the info. So sorry you lost your kitty :0(

Alyssa S said...

So sorry to hear about your loss!! {{hugs}}

Sharon said...

I am so glad you posted this for us followers andcwhoever else pops in. I got a kitty a little over 2 months ago now. He was 6 weeks when I got him and died 2 weeks later at just 8 weeks old. It was a complete and extemely sad mystery to us UNTIL now. I am betting 100% because of the fact that the vet said his kidneys were failing and were extremely infected causing them to triple in size, that he got into the flowers my b/f bought for 5 days after we brought Salem home. They were a bouquet of different flowers some were lillies!

He got sick, real sick real fast! Wouldn't eat or drink! And was even mentally impaired. It all happened in 6 days total from the onset. He died in my arms at home on a Saturday at 6pm.

Thank you SO MUCH for this post!

Angela said...

So sorry! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Kenzie. She was such a sweeite. Hope everyone is doing ok.
XO
Schmendy