Followers

Friday, July 25, 2008

Fool your family Friday!

What the heck am I talking about? Click here.

I made tacos for dinner last night, which is always a hit in my house, but this time I added a secret ingredient.....

Tacos

  • 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes, with juice
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree*
  • 1 taco seasoning packet
  • 1 package taco shells
  • 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
  1. Brown meat in a pan
  2. Stir in tomatoes w/juice, carrot puree and seasoning mix
  3. Simmer for about 10 minutes
  4. Fill taco shells with meat and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in oven for 5 minutes at 325 degrees or until cheese is melted.
  5. Add favorite toppings and serve.

My family was totally fooled by this recipe. My son HATES carrots, so this recipe was for him. He had three tacos! Enough said.

*To puree the carrots, I just use a bag of pre-washed and peeled baby carrots, steam them for 10 minutes and stick them in the food processor. This makes enough for several 1/2 cup servings which I freeze for future recipes. The carrots added to this recipe are a great source of beta carotene, which is great for your child's eyes and skin. They also contain a good amount of insoluble fiber.

Have a super weekend! I'll be back on Monday.

No comments: