Followers

Thursday, May 28, 2009

We gave her a Whiskey tube for her 6th birthday...

Every once in a while, the hubs will treat himself to a glass of Scotch and a big fat stinky cigar. I decided to keep the last box that he was about to throw out because it was a funky triangle tube shape. Another item added to my LARGE collection of "alterables". If you're a regular reader of my blog, then you know that I don't do many altered items. I collect things to alter, it just never happens.

We had a birthday party to attend last weekend and were out of gift bags. I decided to seize the opportunity and get crafty! Did you know that a Glenfiddich Scotch Whiskey tube measures EXACTLY 12 inches tall by 12 inches wide?! This project literally took 10 MINUTES and then we were on our way to the party.
All I used was 1 sheet of 12 x 12 patterned paper, red sticky tape and miscellaneous embellishments that I had on hand. No cutting involved!

First, my daughter rolled up a little summer dress and slid it down the tube - perfect fit!
Then we worked on the lid.
Here's a before pic...And here it is after a 5 minute makeover...
All I did was punch out a large scalloped circle with my Marvy Mega Punch and attach some ribbon scraps to the back. Then I added a few green felt flowers from the Target $1 bin and a sentiment from Stampin Up.

To finish it off we tied some turquoise ribbon around the middle and added a giant pink flower. Can I just tell you that I've had that freakin' pink flower for 2 years! I've tried to incorporate it onto sooooo many projects and it was just way to big and hideous. I think it worked well here and I was THRILLED to use it!
Here's what it looked like all finished.
My daughter was very happy to present this to her friend and it looked so cute on the table with all of the gift bags.


6 comments:

de said...

Clever and adorable! Maybe your hubs should drink more?! :-)

Inkerbelle said...

Just brilliant!!

Angela said...

Always thinking of something new! Very cute!

Kristen said...

cute idea, mackenzie! good to see you last night...next time let's all go have a drink or something before hand...might make the night more interesting. :) kristen

Kathy W said...

your title cracks me up, and only you could come up with an alteration of whisky to litte girly!

Winnie Uffelmann said...

Great idea! I seem to "store" fun shaped packaging and never use them...Thank you for inspiring me!